Mondays are rough. It’s back to the grind whether it’s back to work, the start of the school week, or a night full of soccer practice and dance class… or all of the above if you’re like our family! That’s why I often get very overwhelmed with Monday night dinners, thinking I simply don’t have time to prepare a meal. But once I started meal planning regularly, that overwhelming feeling went away.
I love a good menu plan and when I find a food that my family loves, I keep it on the menu quite regularly. One of those such meals is sloppy joes. My family will gobble up some Sloppy Joes, that’s definitely for sure, but it’s always nice to mix it up just a bit.
This past week I decided to switch up a couple of different ways. The first switch was ground chicken instead of our normal choice of ground beef. Dare I say the chicken was even more delicious than beef?! I think it was!
I also decided to serve our Sloppy Joes in a different form. A form that no kid can resist… Sloppy Joe Mini Pies!
These are so simple, not quite as pretty as some recipes you might find, but oh so delicious – which is all that matters! In fact, isn’t that what we love about Sloppy Joes?! Even in pie form, sloppy joes are a messy-licious treat to be enjoyed with both hands – making our whole family focused on mealtime – there’s definitely no texting during dinner with Sloppy Joe fingers!
The whole family loved the Sloppy Joe Mini Pies, especially Moreaya. This girl is a hit or miss kinda girl, with dinner especially. Most nights she eats a few bites and declares she’s full, but this Monday she asked for seconds! Even more fun? Telling your kiddos to ditch their forks and dive right in with their hands!
- 1 lb. Ground Chicken [or Ground Beef or Ground Turkey - your choice!]
- 1 can Manwich
- 1 can Crescent Rolls
- Shredded Cheese for topping [optional]
- Pre-heat oven to 375.
- Brown your ground chicken [or any ground meat that you're using].
- Mix in 1 can of Manwich and heat thoroughly.
- Unroll crescent rolls so that they are all still intact. Cut into 8 squares.
- Press your crescent rolls in a muffin pan, then fill with Sloppy Joe mix.
- Top with shredded cheese [optional].
- Bake at 375 for about 10 minutes - be sure to watch as you want to remove when your crescent rolls are golden brown.
- Let your Sloppy Joe Mini Pies sit for a couple of minutes so they'll hold shape when taken out of the muffin tins.
- ENJOY dinner with both hands!