This Spaghetti Squash Casserole recipe will have your family asking for seconds before their plate is even cleared. It’s delicious, hearty, and the perfect meal for a cool night!
Last week I shared with you that I’ve been trying to think outside the [pasta] box and prepare meals for my family that bring about a little change in our menu. One such way is by substituting some of our most relied upon foods… like rice and pasta, with yummy substitutes.
I have to admit, though, that it’s been much easier to get myself on board. Convincing my family that switching out pasta for spaghetti squash hasn’t went over quite as well. The girls can obviously see a difference, which convinces them that “it’s no good, Mom”!
Where did my will-eat-anything girls go? Oh yeah, they have been gone for about 4 years now!
Since the marinara atop a bowl of spaghetti squash hasn’t been the answer, I had to get a little more creative. Basically who wouldn’t eat this casserole? It’s full of favorites… cheese, ham, cheese, mushrooms, cheese… But really, it IS delish!
Although since it does contain cheese, milk, and cream of mushroom soup I forego it for Sophia. Don’t worry about her though, she gets a dairy-free version.
The rest of the family is eating this up! Also asking for seconds before their plates are even clean is always a sign of a winning recipe.
Although I wouldn’t go so far as to say this meal is healthy, I do feel good about switching out the usual pasta with spaghetti squash. Plus the added broccoli has to count for something too!
It feels good to add in variety to our diets and to our menu because let’s face it, it gets boring cooking the same menu every week!
Think your family will love it? I think they will too! That’s why I’m sharing the recipe with you today! If you try it, be sure to let me know what you family thinks!
And don’t waste your time prepping your spaghetti squash in the oven. Save time [and messy pans] by using my spaghetti squash microwave preparation tips!
- 2 cups Ham, diced
- 2 cups Spaghetti Squash, cooked, shredded and drained of extra liquid
- 3/4 cup Mushrooms, sautéed
- 1 cup Fresh Broccoli Florets, cut small
- 1 can Cream of Broccoli soup
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 cup of Seasoned Breadcrumbs
- 1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1/4 cup Butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a bowl, mix ham, spaghetti squash, and mushrooms. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine soup and milk (or half n half). Mix well. Fold in half of the cheese.
- Spray a 11 x 7 baking dish.
- Pour the ham ingredients into the pan. Sprinkle the broccoli florets and cheese over the top of the ham.
- Pour the soup bowl ingredients over top the ham and broccoli ingredients.
- In a small bowl, combine the seasoned breadcrumbs and butter together. Sprinkle over the soup layer.
- Bake for approximately 30 – 35 minutes.
- Optional: You can bake the dish after step 6, and in the last few minutes of cooking time, add the breadcrumbs and broil to a desired brownness if your oven runs hot and may burn the crumbs before the cooking time is up.