One of my family’s go-to meals is Spaghetti. I’d venture a guess that we’re not the only family that has that default meal always ready in the cupboard.
It’s an easy one pot meal and is pretty much a dinner that everyone loves. But sometimes the family needs a little bit of variety, which is why I created this fun spin on the Italian favorite… Spaghetti Soup with Mini Meatballs!
This dish tastes and looks like it takes hours to create, which is great when you’re trying to impress your husband or dinner guests, but it’s so simple and features homemade meatballs that are absolutely delicious!
And instead of using a pre-made spaghetti sauce, I use cans of diced and crushed tomatoes to keep the sauce and soup full of flavor, with a more homemade look and feel.
You know me – easy and simple is the way I like it and one of the best shortcuts I have found for this meal are ingredients like using Diced Tomatoes [with added Basil, Garlic, and Oregano] and Italian Style Bread Crumbs.
Both cut out the need to add more spices and make the recipe even easier. I love a good shortcut in any recipe, don’t you!?
- 2 tbsp EVOO
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 qt. Beef Broth
- 2 cans Diced or Crushed Tomatoes [28 oz total]
- 1 can Tomato Sauce [15 oz]
- 3/4 lbs Ground Beef
- 1 large Egg
- 1/4-1/3 c Italian Bread Crumbs
- 1/4 c Italian Cheese blend
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1/2 lb Spaghetti broken in half
- In a large Dutch Oven, heat the EVOO, onion, garlic, and bay leaf over medium-high heat. Cook for 5 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, egg, breadcrumbs, cheese, and salt & pepper. Roll into small meatballs, about the size of walnuts, and drop into pot. You'll get around 16 mini meatballs.
- Simmer the soup and meatballs for 10 min.
- Add broken spaghetti and cook for 12 min, stirring occasionally. Serve when spaghetti is al dente in soup!