If you’re on the pumpkin everything train this Fall, or anytime of the year, these Pumpkin French Toast Roll-Ups will become a morning [and afternoon and evening] treat that the whole family will love!
This post may contain affiliate links.
My family loves Saturday and Sunday mornings. It’s the 2 days of the week that I always get up and actually make a breakfast. Sure, I sometimes serve eggs on weekdays, but on the weekends, I like to go all out! French Toast is one of our favorites and this Dairy Free French Toast recipe is a staple that we have at least once or twice a month. But with the Fall and the idea of #pumpkineverything, I just HAD to put a pumpkin spin on our favorite!
So I can’t take total credit for these ah-mazingly delicious Pumpkin French Toast Roll-ups. Hubby cooks, rarely, but it does happen on occasion and when it does… it’s usually really good [and also messy, very messy]. Once I clean up the mess that he’s made, I am able to appreciate the delicious concoction he’s developed while making the kitchen look like a flour bomb burst in it. But let’s get back to the roll-ups, shall we? So he proclaimed one morning that he had a brilliant idea and for everyone to stay out of the kitchen. When he was finished and beckoned us in, the smell, oh the smell! He had made the most delicious French Toast Roll-Ups full of Trader Joe’s Cookie Butter, Raspberries, Cream Cheese… you name it, he had stuffed it inside those French Toast rolls!
We’ve made them often since his first try and I love each and every filling we’ve done. But these Pumpkin French Toast Roll-Ups are just the best to me. It’s the start of Fall and pumpkin is just starting to pop up everywhere so I suppose it may just be a bit of peer pumpkin pressure, but whatever the reason, I really think they are the best.
You can find the full recipe below, but the idea is to take your fresh bread, Texas Toast being our favorite to use, and smashing it out with a rolling pin. Whipped cream cheese makes a delicious filling paired with the pumpkin, but if you’re a Cookie Butter fan, you’ll appreciate that filling too! Once your all slathered up with filling, it’s time to roll these lovelies! I’ve found that using the freshest bread gets you the prettiest roll-ups.
Dunk, swish, slather that delicious liquid pumpkin-y mixture on your roll-ups so they’ll be perfectly golden after frying. Once they’re ready, put them on your favorite frying pan and cook on each side until they’re a beautiful golden brown color.
Yes, they’re beautiful sprinkled with cinnamon and powdered sugar. Yes, they taste lovely dipped in syrup, but they don’t need a thing. Trust me. Before your family realizes what you’ve just made them, pick one up and enjoy the fruits of your pumpkin-y labor.
- Texas Toast - any bread will do, but I love the thickness of Texas Toast!
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup Almond Milk [any milk will do though]
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 cup Pumpkin Puree [if you get plain pumpkin, add 1/2 tsp of Pumpkin Pie spice] or 1/2 cup of the Pumpkin Pie Filling
- Whipped Cream Cheese for filling
- Butter for frying
- Preheat skillet with a little butter.
- Mix wet ingredients in a bowl.
- Use a rolling pin to roll out bread very thin. I've found the fresher your bread, the better it rolls. I try to roll it as thin as possible as it will roll up much better.
- Spread whipped cream cheese over flattened bread.
- Roll up your bread.
- Dip into egg mixture making sure the bread is well coated in your pumpkin mixture.
- Add to heated frying pan and cook on all sides, turning when each side turns a lovely golden color.
- Top with syrup and a bit of powdered sugar!