Kids love edible dirt cups and these are even more fun when made with Nutella and homemade cookie cups! Add in the cute candy carrots and you have adorable Peter Rabbit-inspired carrot patch cookie cups!
Have you seen the new Peter Rabbit movie? It’s getting rave reviews and I’ve heard great things from both kids and adults who have seen it! It’s a lovely remake of a classic tale from Beatrix Potter that my family has always loved and today I’m sharing a fun new recipe inspired by Peter Rabbit!
If your kids love dirt cups, they’ll love these. The “dirt” in our carrot patch cookie cups is actually made of Nutella and Oreos which is delicious enough it’s own but when it’s the filling in a sugar cookie… it’ll be a huge hit!
These Nutella cookie cups are also so easily customized for any theme. I just love the carrot patch theme since we just saw the movie and it’s such a beloved book too. Plus they’re great for Easter and Spring time snacks too! And they couldn’t be easier to make – all you need is some edible Easter grass and orange gel candies.
How to Make Cookie Cups
I always thought homemade cookie cups look so difficult, but they are really SO easy to make. Simply make your own favorite cookie dough, or use my recipe below for a sugar cookie cup, and chill your dough in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
Once your dough is chilled, instead of baking on a baking sheet, you’ll use a muffin pan. Fill each tin about 1/2 with cookie dough and bake for just about 10 minutes. As soon as you remove the pan from the oven, use a small round object [a shot glass is actually the perfect size!] and press into the center of each cookie. This will form your cookie cup!
I’ve found that we love making cookie cups from sugar cookie dough the most – and it’s so easy to make a goes with different filling types too!
Carrot Patch Cookie Cups with Nutella “Dirt” Filling:
- 1 cup of Sugar
- 1 cup of Powdered Sugar
- 1 cup of Butter
- 1 cup of Vegetable Oil
- 2 beaten Eggs
- 2 teaspoons of Vanilla
- 5 cups of Flour
- 1 tsp of Baking Soda
- 1 tsp of Baking Powder
- 1/4 a tsp of Salt
- 1 small jar of Nutella
- 7 Oreos
- 1 bag of Candied Orange Slices
- Edible Grass
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease your cupcake pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix sugars, butter, and eggs.
- Add in oil, vanilla, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix all ingredients well and roll into a ball of dough.
- Chill in fridge for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Fill each muffin tin about 1/2 way with cookie dough.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Immediately after removing pan from oven, use a shot glass or small round object to press the center of each cookie cup down.
- Place one spoon full of Nutella into each cup.
- Place Oreos in a food processor, and then sprinkle Nutella with Oreo crumbs.
- Cut candied orange slices in 1/2 with a knife.
- Cut edible grass into 1 inch pieces.
- Cut small slit in the top of each orange slice and place edible grass inside.
- Decorate cookie cups with prepared orange slices.
- Let cool and serve!
- Makes 2 dozen cookie cups.