These mini meatball subs are the perfect weeknight dinner and meal for the lunch box. Think outside the sandwich and pack a delicious, savory meal for your kids for their school lunch.
We’re just a couple weeks into packing school lunches and I’m sharing one of my girls’ favorites. They’ve both told me that when they open up their bento boxes at lunch and these adorable sized Mini Meatball Subs are inside, they do a little happy dance!
While the girls are fine with eating school lunches, I prefer to pack their lunch because I know just what type of nutrition they are getting throughout the day. I can also watch to see how much they’re eating [or talking] during lunch and encourage better habits.
It’s also been a great chance to get the girls to try different foods – because when you had super cute little food picks and sauce containers, they’re more likely to try them!
But there’s no need to dress up these Mini Meatball Subs because they gobble them up with or without a cute lunch box display, especially when I make them with King’s Hawaiian Mini Sub Rolls!
Not only are these mini sub rolls the perfect size for lunch boxes, they add the perfect soft and sweetness too! The unique flavor of King’s Hawaiian bread allows it to be used in a variety of recipes, ranging from sweet and to savory… like these subs.
And one of my best tips for packing school lunches is use leftovers whenever possible. It makes school mornings and packing those lunch boxes go even smoother. So I’d definitely recommend making these Mini Meatball Subs during the week and making extra when you do.
The meatballs can even be made ahead of time and frozen for an even quicker lunch option!
Are you ready to make some of your own? Be sure to pick up your favorite variety of King’s Hawaiian products, ours is for sure the mini sub rolls but we love them all, and come up with fun and new creative lunch ideas for your children!
Mini Meatball Subs
- 1 package King Hawaiian Mini Sub Rolls
- 1 jar of your favorite Marinara Sauce
- 1 package sliced Provolone Cheese
- 3/4 lb grass fed Ground Beef
- 1 Egg
- 1/3 cup Italian Bread Crumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheese [Mozzarella, Parmesan - your favorite]
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion [optional]
- Salt & Pepper
- Make meatballs. Combine all meatball ingredients with hands.
- Roll into mini size - about the size of a large grape.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes. This varies based on oven and meatball size, just make sure they are cooked thoroughly.
- Put cooked meatballs into marinara sauce and heat on stove.
- Place the bottom King Hawaiian sub roll slice on baking sheet and layer with meatballs and sauce, topping with a slice of Provolone cheese.
- [OPTIONAL]: Spread butter on top roll slice and sprinkle with Italian seasoning. This step is totally optional - and will give you a crispier sub.
- Bake just about 3-5 minutes, watching closely. You're only melting the cheese in this step.
- Construct the meatball subs and enjoy!