If you love a quick side dish, you’re going to love this Instant Pot Steamed Broccoli. Steam up perfect broccoli florets in under 5 minutes with minimal effort and perfect crispness with your Instant Pot!
Does your family love to eat steamed vegetables? It’s one of my favorite ways to prepare fresh vegetables because it’s such a fast way of cooking and the vegetables retain so much of their nutritional value.
And steamed broccoli is one of my family’s favorites! I count myself lucky that everyone of us, even the girls, love to eat broccoli. The girls will tell you it’s one of their favorite vegetables!
I think it’s so important to introduce kids to vegetables at a young age and keep serving them as they grow up. I can definitely tell that the more they are exposed to a food, the more likely they are to eat it.
Broccoli is one of those foods that I serve at least twice a week, and I think that’s the main reason they love it so much. I used to steam broccoli in the microwave and that definitely works, but once we tried instant pot steamed broccoli, we found a new favorite!
If you don’t have an instant pot, you can always steam broccoli in the microwave as well, but if you’re like me, you love this multi-function cooking appliance!
This post may contain affiliate links where I earn a small commission from your purchase. See full disclosure for details.
I love that it’s a “set it and forget it” type appliance and I can make perfectly steamed Instant Pot broccoli in less than 5 minutes.
While my Instant Pot has a steam button, I rarely use it. The “steam” button actually cooks at super high heat for 10 minutes. I find that this cooks my vegetables to long for my liking. I love steamed vegetables to retain a bit of crispness!
If you do use this Steam function, be SURE to use a steamer basket as your pot will get VERY hot and risk burning the vegetables.
How to Make Instant Pot Steamed Broccoli
If you have an Instant Pot, odds are you have a steamer basket for your Instant Pot. If you don’t, I highly recommend one. I use my steamer basket weekly and I love this small trivet too. It can be used in place of a basket if you don’t have one.
To make perfectly steamed broccoli in your Instant Pot, here’s what you do:
- Wash broccoli thoroughly.
- Place entire head onto steamer basket in Instant Pot.
- Add just enough water to cover the base of your Instant Pot bowl.
- Add any seasonings you choose [garlic, salt, butter, etc – optional]
- Put on lid and lock. Turn valve to seal.
- Hit the Manual button and set “0” minutes.
- Once it beeps and reaches pressure, do a quick release [watching out for the hot steam] and you’ll have perfectly cooked Instant Pot broccoli!
Using “0” or even “1” on Manual pressuring setting simply bring that pressure and temperature high enough to steam the broccoli quickly. Again, I like my steamed broccoli to retain some crispness so I find the “0” minute setting is best.
If you like your broccoli to be a bit softer, try using the “1” minute setting on Manual pressure. As with any appliance, trial and error is the best way to learn how to use your Instant Pot for steaming broccoli and other vegetables.
Note: While the actual cook time will be between 0-1 minute, it will take a few minutes for your Instant Pot to come to pressure. So, please allow about 5 minutes of cooking time for this side dish.
I feel like steamed broccoli goes with just about any meal as a side and it’s so easy to change up too! My family loves Asian dishes and we often make a variation on this instant pot steamed broccoli to go along with fried rice.
To make the broccoli fit with our Asian-inspired dinners a little more, I add in garlic, a little lemon juice, and soy sauce with my water before I steam in my Instant Pot.
I’m telling you – this instant pot steamed broccoli is so versatile because you can easily change up the added spices and liquids to go with just about any meal!
If you love a quick side dish, you’re going to love this Steamed Broccoli. Steam up perfect broccoli florets in under 5 minutes with minimal effort with your Instant Pot!
- Fresh Broccoli Florets
- 1 cup Water
- Salt & Pepper
- Butter [optional]
- Thoroughly wash broccoli.
- Place rinsed broccoli florets onto steamer basket in Instant Pot.
- Add 1 cup of water to the bottom of your Instant Pot. Add other ingredients if you choose to make flavor variants. [Butter, salt, pepper, garlic, etc]
- Place Instant Pot lid on and turn to lock. Be sure valve is set to seal.
- Touch "Manual" button on Instant Pot and lower timer to "0" or "1", depending on your liking.
- When Instant Pot beeps to let you know it's reached pressure, do a quick release [by moving valve to release]. Watch out for steam!
- Remove broccoli immediately.
I find that the bigger florets cook better. Split after steaming.
To make Soy Sauce version, add 2 tbsp Soy Sauce and 2 cloves chopped Garlic.
This steamed broccoli can be enjoyed with SO MANY variants - garlic, butter, lemon garlic seasoning, etc. Make it your own!
Other Ways to Cook Steamed Broccoli
While making instant pot steamed broccoli is my preferred way, there are other methods you can use to make steamed broccoli.
- Microwave – Before buying an Instant Pot, I always steamed broccoli in the microwave.
- Cut the broccoli florets in smaller pieces and put into a microwave-safe bowl with a small amount of water in the bottom of the bowl.
- Place a microwave-safe lid or plate upside down on top of the bowl.
- Be sure the steam can vent through a small hole or crack into the microwave.
- Cook for about 2 minutes and check. Microwaves vary on cooking times.
- Stove-top – This closely mirrors the directions for steaming broccoli in the microwave, but instead using a pot with a lid. You can definitely use this same steamer basket with this method.
Recipes that Use Instant Pot Steamed Broccoli
While I love the instant pot steamed broccoli as a side on it’s own, I do love to use lightly steamed broccoli in a few family favorite meals.