Are you looking for an Elf on the Shelf Kit? I’m sharing the best kits for 2023 – with options for every single day of December and even a DIY Elf on the Shelf kit too!
We’ve been an Elf on the Shelf family for 10 years now and it’s one of my family’s favorite Christmas traditions by far. I think the key to really loving your elf and the tradition of he/she moving every day is to keep things simple.
I would even go so far as to say that we have a lazy elf, which is why I love quick and easy Elf on the Shelf ideas that take less than 5 minutes, actually usually only about 1 minute, to completely set up.
This post may contain affiliate links. By purchasing through these links, I may make a commission. Thank you for your support.
But if you’re looking for an Elf on the Shelf Kit, you probably want a few more elaborate ideas for your elf and you’re in luck because I’m sharing the best kits for 2023 for all budgets. In fact, I even have some great DIY options if you’re into that too!
Here’s what you’ll need to get ready for your Elf on the Shelf Kit:
- Elf on the Shelf – if you don’t have one yet, I’ve found Amazon usually has the best price and it comes with the storybook that explains the tradition and rules.
- A letter from the elf introducing themselves to the family. I have a whole blog post on Elf on the Shelf Arrival ideas and a welcome letter is always a fun way to introduce elf antics and an Elf on the Shelf Kit.
- A small storage box or bag to keep the elf and the Elf on the Shelf Kit contents in when not in use.
- A calendar or planner to help plan out the elf’s daily activities and movements. There are tons of free Elf planning calendars and planners online. I happen to love this one.
Once you have those things ready to go, you’ll need to pick your favorite Elf on the Shelf Kit. Let’s take a look at my top favorites and you’ll find even more ideas at the bottom of this post.
The Top – Most Extensive [and Most Expensive] Elf on the Shelf Kit
Doesn’t this kit from Crafty Holiday Helper look AMAZING?!
While it does cost more than $100, there is an opportunity to get 25% off and her kits usually sell out. So if you’re interested in an elf kit that has everything you need for the entire elf season, I’d definitely check this one out.
It comes everything you could possibly need for the elf season including an Arrival Letter, Magic Glove, Naughty/Nice Cards, and 28 detailed scenes. This is a great choice for parents who just don’t have time to put together scenes on their own.
3 of the Best Elf Kits on Etsy
This Elf on the Shelf Kit from Etsy is a best seller and contains all new activities and props for 2023.
I love that the props are all individually packaged so it’s easy to know what goes with which day. There are some super cute setups! You can buy it on Etsy here for under $50 currently.
Another from Etsy, this Elf on the Shelf Kit actually comes with tons of extras and boasts over 25,000 kits sold.
If you want to know the scenes you’ll get, they are listed in the Etsy listing. You can also choose from a half kit or full kit to save some money. In addition, you can choose Elf on the Shelf kits for 1 or 2 children AND even add on some fun accessories too. Buy this kit here.
Here’s a super affordable Elf on the Shelf Kit on Etsy. This is one of the most affordable kits I found on Etsy at just about $30.
I feel like this kit relies more on Elf on the Shelf printable notes instead of more props, which is why it’s a little more affordable.
Lastly, you might be surprised to learn that you can also find Elf on the Shelf Kits on Amazon.
Here’s a few that are great options and will come quick with Prime shipping.
All of these elf kits are great options, but if you like to DIY or are just looking to save a little money and use items from around your house, you can make your own!
DIY Elf on the Shelf Kit Ideas
First, you will want to decide just how extensive you want your elf setups to be. You can simply add in a few props or go all out with ultimate Christmas scenes and elf antics. Believe me, you can get caught up in it – I never thought I would be throwing flour around to look like snow, but I did it last year!
I compiled a huge list of Elf on the Shelf printable props and accessories in this post that make it so easy [and FREE] for you to make your own Elf on the Shelf Kit. One advantage to putting everything together in a kit is being able to reuse the ideas over each year. You can easily switch up a few things differently if you don’t want to be too boring or repetitive.
I would highly suggest checking out some of those printable to add to your own DIY Elf on the Shelf Kit. But in addition, here are some great items to add to the kit too:
- A set of elf-sized clothes and accessories (such as hats, scarves, and mittens) – Did you know that Dollar Tree Barbie clothes fit the scout elf perfectly?!
- A small bag of elf-sized props (such as tiny presents or mini candy canes). Small candies and even cereal make fantastic props. [Cheerios = tiny donuts!]
- A notepad and pen for the elf to write notes to the family. This is a simple idea, but a great one to have in your kit.
- Miniature presents and gift boxes make perfect props!
- Miniature Christmas decorations (such as a tiny tree or wreath) – I also love Christmas lights popsed with or around an elf.
- A miniature book or magazine for the elf to read – here’s a free one to print!
- Tiny sports equipment (such as a small basketball or football or even tennis racket – think Barbie accessories)
- Hot Wheels toy car or vehicle for the elf to ride in – they are the perfect size for props!
Once your creative juices start flowing, you’ll be coming up with fantastic elf scenes in no time. Honestly, just looking around your house will probably give you tons of props, but if you’re still looking for places to buy some, you might want to check out the Elf on the Shelf website, craft stores like Michaels and Hobby Lobby, and dollar stores like my favorite Dollar Tree.
Just keep in mind – anything miniature is always adorable!
Whether you decide to DIY an Elf on the Shelf Kit or buy one, you’ll definitely be on top of your game and ready for all the Elf Shenanigans that come during the month of December!a Rafflecopter giveaway