Are you ready to take Taco Tuesday up a notch? Make Taco Tuesday ANY night of the week with this delicious and easy Chicken Taco Casserole.
This post has been sponsored by Simply Organic. All opinions are my own.
One of my family’s favorite days of the week is Tuesday. Why? Because we celebrate the 2nd day of the work week like all families should… with Taco Tuesday! Tacos really cure the work week blues around here, especially since we try to mix things up every now and then. Sometimes we set up a Taco Bar and sometimes we throw away the taco shells altogether and throw it all together in a fabulous casserole.
I love the versatility of tacos and now that I’ve found Simply Organic’s new Mild Taco Simmer Sauce, that’s going to be even easier from now on.
Simply Organic is a brand of 100% certified organic spices, seasoning mixes and baking flavors launched by Frontier Co-op in 2001. Simply Organic offers an unrivaled selection of organic seasonings and gives back 1% of sales to support organic growers and the organic community. Their new organic Mild Taco Simmer Sauce just hit shelves last month and I was super excited to try it out in this easy chicken taco casserole recipe.
The simmer sauce contains vibrant, tangy notes of cilantro and lime paired with saucy tomato and the perfect hint of warmth from three varieties of chilies. I chose to use shredded chicken in this recipe, but the sauce also compliments fish perfectly too.
When I’m looking for recipes to serve during the week, I definitely look for easy and fast dishes. One way to change up this taco casserole recipe is by using fresh ingredients as well as canned ingredients. While I do use canned black beans and a tomato and pepper blend, I love to throw in some freshly chopped tomatoes and onions to give the casserole different textures.
While my family tries to eat organic as much as possible, I also like to look for ways to lighten up dishes. One of the best secrets I have for lightening up Taco Tuesday recipes is to use Greek Yogurt in place of sour cream. There are so many taco casserole recipes that call for cream soups, which we try to avoid also, and the yogurt is a perfect replacement for them too.
While the Mild Taco Simmer Sauce is certainly flavorful, it isn’t overpowering at all. My girls love tacos, but they definitely prefer a milder sauce. They ate up this easy Chicken Taco Casserole when I used the Simply Organic sauce.
In the end I love to cover with fresh romaine lettuce and more chopped tomatoes. It brings amazing colors to the casserole and even more fresh, crisp textures.
- 1 pkg Simply Organic Mild Taco Simmer Sauce
- 3 Chicken Breasts
- 1 can Black Beans
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes & Green Chiles
- 2 cups of Cooked Rice
- 1 cup Shredded Cheese
- 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt
- Tortilla Strips
- Chopped Lettuce
- Chopped Tomatoes
- Boil your chicken breasts. Once cooled, shred.
- Boil 1 cup of uncooked rice.
- Once your chicken is shredded, return to pot and add Simply Organic Mild Taco Simmer Sauce. Let saute for about 2-3 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Break up tortilla strips and place a layer in a 9x13 baking dish.
- Add chicken to a large bowl. Mix in black beans, diced tomatoes & green chiles, rice, cheese [reserve a bit for topping casserole], greek yogurt, and fresh chopped tomatoes. Mix well.
- Pour over tortilla chips.
- Add remaining cheese on top of the casserole mixture.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until heated thoroughly and cheese has melted.
- Top with chopped lettuce and tomatoes and serve immediately. Enjoy!