Meet the BabyHawk Oh Mei: Part Mei Tai, Part SSC

Although International Babywearing Week was last week, we’re still talking baby carriers {you don’t mind, right!?} because Fall Back into Babywearing is still going strong for another week or two.  One of the carriers that you can win is the carrier that I’m going to show you today {that I was sent free to review}… the Oh Mei! from BabyHawk!

babyhawkohmeireview

This carrier intrigued me at first glance.  Let me start off by telling you a little about BabyHawk and the three types of carriers they make:

One child, plus two arms, plus one million things to do, equals me needing a baby carrier that not only matched my style but is functional and comfortable as well.   A mother’s time is, perhaps, more valuable than anyone else’s, and at BabyHawk our goal is to make your parenting experience easier.

Along with the original BabyHawk Mei Tai {a carrier that is in fact like a wrap, but with a body panel}, BabyHawk also now makes an Oh Snap! carrier, which is similar to other Soft Structured Carriers with buckles at the waist, shoulder straps, and a chest clip.  The Oh Mei! is a complete hybrid of the two!

babyhawkbackcarry

It features a waist strap, but the top is mei tai style.  I consulted MY babywearing professional, my good friend Jenny from According to Jenny, on ways that I should tie the straps because I’ve never used a Mei Tai style before… I’m usually just a SSC kinda gal.  Turns out, there are a ton of different ways to tie the top, but this crossover on the front was the one that made me the most comfortable.

babyhawkfrontcarry

Although it’s usually much easier for me to put her in a Front Carry {especially if I’m by myself}, I way prefer to have her on my back now that she’s taller.  It’s a bit hard to see around her, although it sure is nice to have those snuggles!

That’s one thing that I do absolutely love about the Oh Mei.  I’ve found that I can put her in a back carry much more easily than I can with a SSC.  Why?  Because I the straps are so long that they’re easy for me to grab and pull over my shoulders without struggling to find a shoulder strap and getting her in the seat good, like I do in a SSC back carry when I’m solo.

babyhawkCollage

Crisscrossing the straps, on both front and back carrys, have been the most comfortable for me.  I’m still practicing with others, but it seems to be the easiest to get the straps pulled good and tight for me as well.

The Oh Mei! can be used with children from 15 to 45 pounds and I definitely see how it can accommodate larger children.  Moreaya is about 23 pounds and fits in just right, with a high back panel and lots of room for the seat to be comfy.

babyhawkfabbabycarrier

Feedback on the BabyHawk Carriers speaks volumes about this brand.  It seems that once you have a BabyHawk, you’re a BabyHawk customer for life and I can’t disagree with that!  The quality of the Oh Mei! is outstanding.  It’s thick, durable, and well, absolutely gorgeous.

babyhawkgorgeousprints

BabyHawk Carriers are made in the USA of 100% cotton chino twill and 100% quilting-quality cotton.  The Oh Mei! is available on BabyHawk.com and retails for $108.95.

Be sure to connect with BabyHawk on social media via Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and instagram.

Comments

1. ldoepker says

I love that it is made in the USA and I love that the seat are nice and wide and that you have the option of front or back carry.

2. victoria w. says

adorable carrier, I like that it does older children as well, Do you think the ties scare people off? I know lots of babywearing mama’s in my area but have never seen this particular one in use, even after they’ve outgrown their wraps.

3. Michelle Martin says

I love that this carrier is a hybrid and so versatile! I like that you can do many different tie offs with it too.

4. Lauren A says

I love that this carrier is a hybrid and that it both ties and snaps. It’s also ergonomically correct which is a big plus in my eyes!

5. Tausha says

I am looking forward to getting a baby hawk soon!! This helped out with the explanation of how easy a back carry can be solo!

6. Christina Howell says

This would be perfect for my family. My one son loves to do piggy backs and it would be easier to have me secured so our arms would be more readily available. Love this carrier!

7. Ashley Campbell says

Oh, how I would love to try the Baby Hawk Oh Mei! On my 22 month old. He is getting so heavy to carry around, and with the 3 different carrying options? Who couldn’t resist? And add the fact that I just had a newborn, would be such a life saver for me!!

8. Tracie says

The front carry looks comfortable, but I don’t know about the back carry. I think the girls might be squished…

9. Jocelyn says

I am very intrigued by this carrier! I have never tried a ssc or mei tai, as I am typically a woven girl. This looks so comfortable and looks like it would make tandem wearing my two and a half year old and my newborn very easy!

10. Judith Martinez says

I am currently on my second babyhawk mei tai. The first one had to be retired after several years of faithful service (after being purchased used). I also just got an Oh Snap! I love babyhawk!

11. says

I have never used a Mei Tai carrier, but have always wanted to try a Baby Hawk. It looks so comfy for the little ones, and seems like it would be easy on my back.

12. Megan M says

In my early days of babywearing, we tried a mei tai, but found the shoulder straps weren’t very comfortable, and a bit diggy (not a babyhawk). I would love the flexibility of a mei tai with the ease of an SSC buckle waist. A half-buckle is actually on my current wish list. :)

13. Joanna Lou Tabara says

It is a good carrier for moms that mostly back carry their baby/ toddler because it has a tall flap back, so that the baby wont fall out. It makes it more safer for the baby.

14. tasha may says

I love that is has so many cool designs to choose from, and that it’s easy to put on and adjust. Looks very comfy for both baby and mom!

15. laurie nykaza says

This sooks great to wear easy to carry the baby or larger child with you all the time in it. I love the fabrics it comes in too

16. harley shank says

i love love love this one!!!! i want the one with the flowers on it!! i love that it has a side carrying position and the wide back, it looks super comfy for my LO….

17. sarah dugan says

I would love to try a babyhawk sometime. The backcarry looks interesting when the straps cross over the front. Looks a lot sturdier than the other Mei Tei I have.

18. KD says

I’ve always been scared of mei tais, fearing the ties would come loose. I like that this has a waist buckle, and crossing the straps in an x seems comfy.

19. Jutta Pearce says

Wow, your daughter looks so cozy in there! It looks like it rides really high, maybe that’s just me. But I would love to try something like this during pregnancy because I think it would be easier to adjust where the hip belt falls than on a SSC.

20. Megan Hall says

Didn’t know they made a hybrid like that! Cool! Never tried a mei tai but I like the idea of a back carry that is easy!

21. Cynthia Sizemore says

You did a very nice review on this product but you didn’t look very comfortable after you had the baby in there and everything looked very cramped.I wonder how well this works for a smaller baby?

22. One Southern Girl says

How neat is that. I have a WAHM mei tai that I love, but I never thought of one being part SSC. Love their prints, the anchor is awesome!

23. April G says

I Loooooooove BabyHawks! I had a mei tai from them with my firstborn. I wish they’d sold the toddler carriers at the time, because I would have purchased one of those too!

24. Kara Brow says

These are really neat looking, I like the cross over straps a lot and the patterns are adorable. Thank you for the review :)

25. Melanie Molnar says

Great prints, and I like that it is a mix of both worlds. I have yet to try any carrier but really want to get into babywearing. My son is mobile and being able to hold him while I do housework would be very helpful

26. joanne gentry says

This wrap offers versatility and I like that. I also like the patterns, very nice! I am looking for a carrier for a toddler and this looks like it would be a good fit too!

27. Michelle Lee says

I’ve never tried a Mei Tai or hybrid before so I’d love to try this. Looks so easy to customize the fit.

28. Jordan S. says

I love this! I had a traditional Babyhawk Mei Tai, but it was getting to be difficult with squirmy older babies. The snaps look like they’d quickly solve that problem! I bet it’s just as comfortable, too. I would love to try one of these!

29. Leela R. says

I love that this carrier can be used with bigger kiddos. My son is still young but I know he is going to be a big toddler but will still want to be carried so something like this will be very helpful.

30. christine k says

I have a cheap mei tai that I like, so I bet I would love one that was better designed! These look fabulous!